My favorite thing to do for a meal is notto plan anything. Just inventory the kitchen and make up something on the spot!

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cornish hens, peas, salad -Something for everybody.

I found two Cornish hens in the freezer.
How they got in my freezer, we may never know.
defrosted the little birds, rinsed them off, patted dry and rubbed with fresh ground black pepper; garlic slices under the skin; lemon and celery into the cavities. 400 degrees. I was looking for an internal temperature of 180, but I pulled it when it got to 165. Usually it continues to cook while resting. It did cook thoroughly, but I like a drier bird with some crust. So..... the next day I wrapped the remaining cooked hen in foil and out it on the gas grill low heat for 45 minutes.-Just the way I like it. Great aroma!

Meanwhile, Arugula sliced red onion, sliced sweet Florida onion, leftover squash strings from the night before- NOW the secret to my salad dressing is that I used good balsamic vinegar ( a healthy splash) and high quality olive oil, fresh ground pepper, and toss. Then I add freshly ground Parmesan cheese on top after I plate the salad.

Now, as far as salad dressing go, my mother makes a great oil and vinegar dressing, so simple, but none of us Can duplicate it, (we also cannot seem to duplicate her Thanksgiving dressings. Even with the recipe in front of us.)

Big pea pods- shelled and washed- in a frying pan add 2 tablespoons of butter (Julia would be proud), chopped lettuce on top ( I used baby bokchoy) the greens provide the only water needed. cooked at medium heat for ten minutes- OmG so Sweet!!!!!
****I got his recipe at the farmers market by asking the woman who was filing a bad with the pods. A she told me, "My daughter is a professional Chef, and does not prefer this way to cook them, but she always eats them when I serve them." She flashed me a grin.

Lesson: ask the people you meet at the market how THEY do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment