My favorite thing to do for a meal is notto plan anything. Just inventory the kitchen and make up something on the spot!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Roasted Chicken - On the Grill

Previously.....I roasted a chicken in the oven. In the summer, this really heats up the kitchen. Now, one of the great benefits of roasting something like that is the aroma that rolls through the house intoxicating everyone in it's path. Even my vegetarian wife has been known to consider becoming a carnivore for a day. Such is the effect of meat, garlic, and heat!

So, to reduce the rising temperature affect of the oven, I decided to try roasting a whole chicken outside, on the grill. (I bought this gas grill two years ago, from Lowe's, in November after they had reduced the price!

Prepared the chicken by washing it; patting it dry, (save the livers); then rubbing it with olive oil-inside and out- salt and pepper, then two lemons halves and squeezed into the cavity; dropped the halves in the cavity; added a bulb of garlic cloves, not peeled, (salt and pepper already in there). Did not truss it since I will be wrapping the whole bird in foil.

Placed the slippery bird onto an over sized sheet of foil (get the good heavy foil) and folded the foil up halfway around the bird. Added two bulbs of garlic gloves-not peeled- two more lemons halved, squeezed over my bird and the halves dropped into the foil tent. I found some fresh oregano in the frig and added a couple of hefty sprigs to the cavityy. Foled the foil over tightly to keep the steam in, and placed on the top shelf of the grill that had been warming and was up to 350 degrees. (mine has a built-in thermostat on the top) It reached 400 within 10 more minutes. Left it there for 1 1/2 hours. Then, I opened the foil and left tehre for 15 more minutes to get some color and crispiness to teh skin. I then pulled it off the grill, using a towel as not to tear the foil, and brought in side to rest for ten minutes. Place it in a pan with sides when moving it, because if the foil tears while you are carrying it inside, shaking with anticipation of you first taste of this delicous roasted chicken, there will be hot juices all over you and your floor.

I suppose if you have to have some great smells you could sautee some garlic in butter on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment